Passing data between turns

Are we allowed to pass data to a future turn? Perhaps by writing to JSON or something simple?

There’s no need to use JSON to store data, if you’re using any of the starter bots as a starting point (I’m working from in C# so this may vary depending on your language), it doesn’t destroy or reset the bot between turns, so you’re free to store any data you want within the bot.

Equally, the Game, GameMap and MapCells are created at the beginning of the game, and then just updated on each turn. So any extra information you store within them will remain between turns.

The only objects being recreated are ships and dropoffs which are recreated from scratch at the beginning of every turn. Although, there’s nothing stopping you from overriding this behaviour and keeping them around and just updating them.

For example I have a list of Mission objects with my bot. At the start of every turn these are updated, and then used to assign commands to ships. So a mission may potentially stick around for multiple turns.

That is great to know! Thanks for your answer! It makes sense. I am trying to implement an ant-based algorithm. Wish me luck! :smile:

Where did you find to overwrite recreating the ships each turn? I’ve been looking for it and can’t find it.