Purpose of normalize(Position )?

Hi can anybody explain the purpose of the normalized function? What needs to be normalized? I tried a couple of sample inputs and it doesn’t seem to do anything.

I’m sure I’m missing something.

I’m

It converts arbitrary interger x,y to 0<=x<map.width, 0<=y<map.height. Try it with e.g. x=-1. y=-1

I see. I never tried it with x=-1 & y=-1. Why would you negative values on the first place?

I think the function directional_offset can return positions that need to be normalized. I was having crashes on the edge of the map, so now I am calling normalize on all position references in my code

I (and lots of other people) have changed directional_offset to be a function that needs or is part of a game map, and normalises the positions. That way you don’t have to worry about unnormalised positions floating around in your main logic.

@teccles Do you know how to rewrite the code in Python? How can I change the code of a function of the Position class to make it better? Or, how can I add that function into the Map class?

Well, that code is all in the hlt library, which is just part of your bot. So you can edit it as you like. I moved over to Java, but IIRC what I did in Python was to add “map” to the parameters of directional_offset, so I could normalise the position that it produces.

So if you are at the edge of the map, this function will be useful in calculating the actual position of the adjacent cells…

@teccles, I don’t know how to edit the hlt library (I am using the Code Editor if that matters). Would doing something like

hlt.Position.directional_offset = myfunction(self, direction, game_map)

Be the correct way to write this in Python 3 ? Or can you only edit the hlt library if you are running locally…

I’m afraid I don’t know much about the online editor! But if you can’t edit the hlt library source, you could always define your own directional offset function outside it; something like

def safe_directional_offset(game_map, position, direction):
  unnormalised = position.directional_offset(direction)
  return game_map.normalize(unnormalised)

(Though I’ve not tested that actually runs or works :slight_smile: )

I don’t think there’s a way to edit the hlt files using the online editor. That’s the reason I switched to coding locally.